Thread: pf.conf help?
View Single Post
Old 24th January 2018
Shell Scout

Quote:
The service provider may or may not have logs. But their upstream ISPs almost certainly do, as otherwise they wouldn't be able to manage their network services very well. Even if they aren't currently logging data, a regulator or law enforcement agency may very well be able to compel the ISP to begin that collection.
Well I'm glad we had this conversation. I will certainly think about what I use them for in future, if at all.

I have to say that I'd just got OpenBSD set up the way I liked it, then the Intel bug is exposed, so my main machine is now off line. Then I learned about the Intel Management Engine and also learned that AMD has started doing the same shady things. I agree with Stallman that it is ME, not Meltdown that is the real scandal that no one is talking about, so now I'm thinking my machine can never be used for anything important online again.

As long as this kind of thing is tolerated on our computers, all talk of security is just LARPing IMO. We may as well be using Windows and Apple spyware. What do we have left at this point? Open source is still free? For how much longer will our Intel overlords allow that situation to continue on their CPUs? lol