View Single Post
Old 14th November 2013
More noise than signal

It was not my intent to dissuade you from posting to a mailing list, only to set what I considered appropriate expectations should you post the same limited information there as you have here.

It has been my experience that newbie questions to misc@ or ports@ will be answered without rudeness when the newbies clearly show they've done their homework using official sources (FAQ / man pages / mailing list archives / source code). Newbie problems will be treated well when the homework includes problem reports that are as complete as the newbies can make them.

Should you reconsider my recommendation and post...
OpenBSD is source code maintained.
Support from developers may include patches to source code for you to test. As an OpenBSD user, you are expected to know how to apply patches to OpenBSD source code and build and install the affected components in response to your support requests. You are using M:Tier binary packaging for maintenance, and I don't know your familiarity with source code for Unix and Unix-like systems.

FAQ 5 and Absolute OpenBSD both will be of great value if you are unfamiliar with what to do with a patch you might receive in response to any problem report. If your problem is with a third party package, FAQ 15 will also help, as you may get patches to the associated port from the port's maintainer.

Last edited by jggimi; 14th November 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo, added list archives to homework, clarity, grammar