View Single Post
Old 25th July 2008
Arp Constable

You might want to be more specific about what you mean by 'local port'.

To me at least, this means a port in the ports tree that is made by you but not committed to the wider ports infrastructure. --> In which case you should read the FreeBSD porters handbook as a starting point.

From what you are saying, I would gather that you just want to keep your software up to date without huge downloads over dial up.

You can't keep the system up to date without downloading newer versions of things, be it the source code to compile it (and depending apps/libs) or pre-compiled packages of everything. For building ports, you should be able to use 'make fetch-recursive' to fetch all the dist files needed for a port build -> check ports manual page.

You should also check the documentation for utilities such as portupgrade, porteasy, portmaster, e.t.c. from ports. And see if any of them meet your criteria. If you are more specific someone here might actually be able to help.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.