View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Firefox 3.0.3 (TabMix Plus / SpeedDial add-ons installed) tends to consume huge amounts of CPU resources and memory whenever I have many tabs open, or combine it with plugins.
Then quit using that extension.

I'll never understand these memory usage problems some people claim. (I don't understand the need for 70 tabs open either). I've used Firefox since 1.5 and have never seen them. I know there were problems in v1.x, and a couple in 2.x, but those have been eliminated. The only memory problems in 3.x are those created by 3rd parties, ie, extension writers and not Firefox. I'm a web developer and use Firefox exclusively to design and develop a number of ecommerce sites so I have a lot going on while I'm using it, too.

Memory usage can even be set to an upper limit but Firefox will use available memory to cache pages.

Switching to another browser means losing the extensions you may use in FF but, as the others have said, Opera would be your best. It's one of the 5 major browsers and includes lots of extensions and tools; and web developers use it as a test browser, too.