View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th February 2012
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
1 - well .. maybe I am prejudiced here because I believe since c has got a shining history and honorable reputation and is at the core of every kernel so being in love with bsd presupposes and entails being in love with Archetypal C !!
Perhaps ... But it's not like Dennis Ritchie singlehanded invented C ... To quote the famous quote: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants".
Perhaps Ken Thompson was *more* influential? He wrote C's direct predecessor, B, he also started UNIX. Then again, UNIX would never have been as successful as it is without C (first versions were written in assembly, it got ported to C later).
How does one measure this sort of thing anyway? It seems quite impossible to me.
I think it's silly to say that "person X is *the* most influential programmer". I would say that Dennis Ritchie is *a* influential programmer instead.

Quote:
4- obviously you are a php programmer so you know what is going bad .. while I can't .. :-(
maybe you just disappove of the extent to which users-supplied information has been through scrutiny and validity check etc .. a perpetual dillema because meaning is positional ..
I'm not sure what being a PHP programming has to do with this ...?

I have a few problems with wikipedia, in short:
1) It's a pain to change stuff. You have to battle hordes of idiots, autistic tunnelvision people, and plain trolls.

2) There are people who relentlessly just *delete* entire blocks of text without sufficient reason (the main excuse nowadays is "not notable enough"). They usually use dirty hacks to circumvent the stringent rules regarding deletions (the main one is emptying a page and redirect it to something else. Ever notice how many wikipedia pages contain links to itself or strange destinations? This is why).

3) *If* you finally made your change and got a page in reasonable shape, it's a challenge to *keep* it that way. See point 1.

I like wikipedia to get a quick overview of the info, and the "external links" and/or references usually provide more info if I need it.

Quote:
2 - wow ! I'd be happy to learn about that .. in what prog lge mainly ? not c I bet ..
Python, PHP, and Javascript.

If you want, here's an overview: http://code.google.com/u/martin@arp242.net/

Mostly it's not very polished ... I actually use most of it myself, and it works quite well for *me*, mainly because it was specifically written for *my* needs, which is why it doesn't suck for *me* I release the source because ... well, why not?

Quote:
Assange has done what no other human being did
Cryptonome did was Assange did long before Assange did it. As did many other websites.
Besides, can you name one single *concrete* thing that got changed because of wikileaks? I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of any out of the top of my head ...

Quote:
7 - it can never and should never be overlooked .. why then are there some forum-related rules .. lol .. it is no harm discussing all issues provided that it be politely and amicably .. despite differences .. ideologies .. etc ..
This is a subject of many books, and *much* controversy ...