Thread: SSD Install
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2014
More noise than signal

OK, that's a little different than your original question, which I interpreted to mean that you were concerned an SSD installation could not be successful. The goal is to minimize writes.

EXT4 has noatime. So does FFS. From mount(8):
Quote:
noatime
Do not update atime on files in the system unless the mtime or ctime is being changed as well. This option is useful for laptops and news servers where one does not want the extra disk activity associated with updating the atime.
Use softdep. Soft dependencies batch metadata write operations, which may also reduce the number of NAND pages being written. From mount(8):
Quote:
softdep
...Mount the file system using soft dependencies. Instead of metadata being written immediately, it is written in an ordered fashion to keep the on-disk state of the file system consistent. This results in significant speedups for file create/delete operations....
You've suggested eliminating swap. You could, but if you run out of RAM to allocate, the system will cease operating, with a variety of different possible failure modes.

I would retain swap, and monitor its use, even on a RAM-rich system, as I would want to be able to diagnose kernel failures should they occur, and swap is a necessary component of kernel dump acquisition. See crash(8).