View Single Post
Old 29th August 2008
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I wonder the problem I faced was because of ~/.bashrc file that I added to change the prompt.

On bash which file should I edit to change the prompt? I like "$" prompt.
From the bash(1) manpage:
Quote:
When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.
Personally, I use ~/.bash_profile. ~/.bashrc is not intended for login shells.

Quote:
Install bash from the port and create user with bash as their shell. Is there any other thing I need to do to get bash working properly?
Not really, other than customization.

Quote:
which shell would you guys suggest for daily use (I don't have X installed) including scripting. I'm not looking for some shell which provides too many fancy features (some basic should be there).
I use bash because many scripts work with it and does have quite a few features. If you don't want anything too fancy or don't want an extra port installed, then perhaps just stick with /bin/sh or /bin/tcsh (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either of those).