View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2013
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks for the responses!!

@ocicat the image I was using is this one:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/live...mg.7z/download

Download USB Install disk image

But I'll give 5.4 a go and see if that's any better though not sure how stable it's gona be, however from www.openbsd.org I see that it's almost getting to become RELEASE version.

@jggimi

Thanks for the tips.... I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my last posting which probably made me sound clueless on x86/amd64 systems however, I have a substantial Linux/FreeBSD based network on x64 architecture.... just get into <panic> mode with OpenBSD for some reason though at present I run it on SPARC as my primary router/firewall/etc.....

Quote:
I don't think so. All 64-bit Intel/AMD CPUs I'm aware of are able to execute the 32-bit instruction set.
I agree that 64bit systems are backwards compatible with 32bit though will only see upto 4GB RAM however, I remember reading something on the OpenBSD FAQ stating that some h/w was only supported on amd64 arch?? Perhaps just bad memory!!

The issue of shutting down straight away maybe compatibility or simply a bad checksum of the image....

I'll go down the official route of installing from CD for now and seeing if that makes things better, though will be 5.4 current over 5.3 (just for later + maybe more drivers etc...).

Though I really don't like CD's.... it's such a waste of money/material.... but then I want/need the system up and running so don't wana spend time building my own USB boot disk.