View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
But I'll give 5.4 a go and see if that's any better though not sure how stable it's gona be, however from www.openbsd.org I see that it's almost getting to become RELEASE version.
It does not appear that you are familiar with OpenBSD's flavors. Studying Section 5.1 of the official FAQ is in order.

Yes, the release of OpenBSD 5.4-release is currently scheduled for the end of October. I have not read of any manufacturing issues in the official mailing lists to indicate that the current release date will not be honored.

Outside of CD manufacturing issues, there shouldn't be, because the code base for OpenBSD 5.4-release was frozen mid-August because of the lead time needed to get CD's pressed before the 1 November release date. A new CVS tag in the code repository was created at the point of the code freeze.

Having said that, development of OpenBSD continues at the head of CVS. This is where snapshots of -current are created. Recent snapshots of -current will contain ~1.5 months of additional work past what is in 5.4-release. There is no final testing being made on 5.4-release. As far as the project developers are concerned, 5.4-release is history. Some may say ancient history.

The value of official releases is that they are known tagged points in CVS. A modicum of time is spent on ensuring that releases work over & above any particular snapshot. Snapshots of -current are known only if the source code is downloaded at the same time, because snapshots are not tagged. If a problem is found in a snapshot, knowing what the code is which generated the problem is not entirely clear unless the head of CVS was checked at the same time.

At some periodic time ( usually daily for the i386 & amd64 platforms...), snapshots are created from whatever code is found at the head of CVS. The times between snapshots for the other platforms are typically longer.

The point to take away from this discussion is that the latest code is always in -current. Although at the time of writing, OpenBSD 5.4-release is still to be officially released, snapshots of -current today are still newer than the impending release to be made at the end of October.