View Single Post
Old 18th October 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have installed a 'snapshot' of OpenBSD 5.4.... using the install54.iso - am I correct?
Nope. That's -current; 2.5 months beyond 5.4-release.
Quote:
.... if the h/w based RAID subsystem is not being detected by the installer then it doesn't matter if I run current or snapshot or release does it?
You are correct. It does not. But to clarify, a snapshot is -current. It is just an older -current than what you could build yourself from source. (I used to build -current from source. I don't any longer, unless I have a specific need. My normal maintenance is to upgrade from snapshot to snapshot.)
Quote:
As from my (lack of) understanding there is no install.iso for 'current' as it's distributed via CVS, so my only options seem to be using either SoftRAID which reading through the link I posted above needs to be setup pre-install (again to my (lack of) understanding :-) ) or doing a simple:

Code:
dd if=/disk1 of=/disk2
Then if one disk goes down, boot from the other......
You have other choices. While you can (with prior knowledge of the steps) create one or more softraid arrays and install directly onto it/them from the bsd.rd RAMDISK kernel, you don't necessarily need to. OpenBSD has an /altroot facility. FAQ 4 says:
Quote:
You may also want to create an /altroot partition, as described in daily(8). This can make a daily copy of your / partition, giving you an extra copy of your kernel and /etc configuration files should something happen to your root partition. Obviously, the /altroot partition needs to be at least as big as /. If you have a second drive and have something else duplicating the rest of your disk, either software softraid(4) or a periodic copy using dump(8)/restore(8), this disk can be bootable after the removal of the primary disk.
More details on /altroot can be found in FAQ 14.