Old 21st January 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post

If this is literally what you are doing to install -current:
  1. Install 4.6-release.
  2. Download the source to -current.
  3. Build per the instructions found in Section 5.3
...then you are not building -current in the documented & supported manner.

There is only one way in which a user can move to -current;
  • Per Section 5.3.2, you should be installing or upgrading to closest available binary first. In this case, the "closest binary" means installing or upgrading to the latest snapshot before downloading source. In fact, a number of people who have need of running -current stop after installing a snapshot.
  • Additional information can be found in the Following -current document.
From what can be construed from your quote above, you are not following the authorized method for building.

To say that this is why you have been having problems for so many months is difficult to tell. I suspect you have had to live through a number of errors in order to learn, but with all the false starts you have gone through, you would have saved yourself significant time by seriously studying the documented process first. At the barest minimum, you need to understand what the process is, & understand it well. This is a requirement when working with -current. You must follow the documentation with no deviation (if you expect support...). Please re-read Section 5 for comprehension.

This is a large reason why Section 5.1 specifically states:
So, "Upgrading to Snapshot" involves either 1)Using Install files from the snapshots directory (obvious) or 2) Choosing the "Upgrade Option" from the install media (mine's 4.6) - I'm presuming that choosing the "Upgrade" option (unlike the Install option) will allow me to ftp the core files from the ~/snapshots directory instead of the ~/4.6 directory.
What I don't get is that several app_pkgs (gui browser types) were looking for "etc/dbus-1/machine-id" and giving me error messages for it when the "machine-id" file, according to Openports.se, had been "uninstalled" months(6+, IIRC? ago.
Thanks