View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
i would like to upgrade samba to the latest version.

In case you hadnt guessed, i am a linux/unix "know-nothing". I have inherited a pretty shodily maintained virtually undocumented openbsd server. and want to do little bits at a time.

hope some one can give some sage advice

cheers Tony
Welcome to daemonforums! Hope you consider your time spent here as useful.

I would agree with Ocicat. You have three options-

1) Do nothing. Probably the most stable thing for you.

2) Upgrade the whole system. You are new to OpenBSD, so that's probably not the most desirable option. And given how old your version is, you would basicallly be in the position to have to do a completely fresh installation, which while I see nothing with this, it seems like this may be a bit much for you at this point in time.

3) Uninstall the installation you have and compile the latest version from source. This may seem quick and easy, but it's not- and when Ocicat says that this would be unsupported in the community, it's an understatement- this option could truly expect no help.

Are there specific feature, performance, or bug fixes that are driving you to the latest version of Samba? If you are interested gain a lot more experience with OpenBSD, you may want to be happy with what you have until you achieve that level of proficiency.