View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2010
New User

Cool OpenBSD v4.6 & nVidia CK-804 chipsets

Tried to switch over to OpenBSD v4.6 but got nowhere. Currently running OpenSolaris on a Tyan S2895 mobo with the latest bios, chipset includes nVidia nForceā„¢ Professional 2200 and 2050, and AMD 8131. Bought the latest 3 cdrom OpenBSD v4.6 set and tried to install x64. Here's what the dmesg began to spit out - nVidia 2200 not configured, 2050 not configured, AMD 8131 not configured etc... It did the full install and upon the 1st required reboot the system will not stop rebooting. Kinda hard to get a complete dmesg when you cannot even get to a log on screen. It seems to take my hard drive offline because after the initial install I simply type dmesg before the 1st reboot and it states the hard drive is offline, and a few other devices not configured. I tested with 2 Opteron 275's, 16GB ATP ECC Registered RAM, 1 LSI 320-2X Controller with 512MB cache ram on board, 1 seagate u320 15k drive. Attempted to mount the floppy after the 1st install was complete, and just before the 1st reboot - but fstab complains no such device. So without the above chipset being configured I have no CK-804 support, softraid0 is enabled but the system drops the hard drive offline - and the continuous reboot cycle begins. So I tried the x86 cdrom and during the initial setup it goes into kernel panic after the first 20 seconds of the install process. RAM and CPU's are functioning fine, This system runs FreeBSD v8 R2 x64, OpenSolaris 2009.06 x64 just fine. But made an attempt to install OpenBSD v4.6 and it fails every time. The chipsets came out in 2005, so its not like there isn't any driver support for them. Tried the install on 1 brand new Tyan S2895 board and 1 used board with the same results. I hope somebody has had a similar experience so I can nail this down. I run Broadcom 5823 Cryptographic Accelerator Cards and would prefer the hardened security Open BSD provides straight out of the box. Tried a snap shot of OpenBSD 4.7 and it looks like the only change was that the AMD-8131 was supported. Are the Dual Core Opterons causing the problem? Any ideas????? TIA.......
@Admin, If this is the wrong forum then please move it to the right forum.