View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Arp Constable

When I work at a keyboard my left hand usually rests with it's fingers around the WASD and left shift buttions -> movement and run keys in most FPS. My right hand typically rests on the jkio; and space bar keys thanks to Vi and the angle of my keyboard.

If my keyboard or chair are out of their usual alignment, I'll often mistype things. I don't have any concept of a home 'row' so much as key-clusters but, I don't need to look at the keyboard for more then realignment when I type, and I type as fast as I can think... Some times faster.

For a long time I would often hit Fn+key by mistake when meaning to hit Control+key on my laptop because the Fn key is to it's right.

I often *try* to use the h, j, k, l, w, b, $, and ^ keys for movement or emacs style C-f, C-b, C-n, C-p, C-a, C-e, keys in programs much to my *annoyance* with programs that don't understand.

I often try to use the dd, dw, db, x, and similar key mappings when deleting text along with C-d and C-h, sometimes C-k (from kate). Even though the program I'm using has a very limited (i.e. notepad like) deletion system.

Between alt+tab and AFK'age, I some times forget what mode I was in (even with showmode set) and end up with a ;w in my file :-(

note: i usually map ; : in ~/.exrc

I wonder why I enter a text field (web browsers and IM clients mostly) and <esc> p does not work when I want to paste soemthing.

I wonder why my highlighted text was never copied to the clipboard, and then remember I'm using explorer.exe X

When I use cmd.exe I often try to use C-a, C-e, C-f, C-b, C-n, C-p, C-w, C-u, and C-d keys when editing command lines rather then arrow keys, delete, and home/end keys.

When using cmd.exe I often hit tab and expect things to autocomplete to something resembling the filename I typed, not walk though it's look up table.

I often argue with 'copy' on DOS/Windows about what is logical behavior thanks to UNIX 'cp'

When using 'cp' as another user (especially root) or without my usual aliases, I often forget it doesn't copy directories by default. Because I always have -R in the switches to my cp alias.

When using various programs that run both on multiple systems, I some times get annoyed when one supports line buffer editing and the other doesn't or is limited to a few commands.

example: GNU 'bc' and OpenBSDs 'bc' when it comes to line editing

When using programs that use different line editing pr completion features then the normal system shell in use, I some times get lost going back (especially using python and irb on winsucks).

example: OpenBSDs (pd)ksh and SFU's (pd)ksh when it comes to tab completion.

When working on most Wintels computers I often forget not everyone makes there systems use Focus Follows Mouse and have to click :-(

note: My desktop uses FFM for most window managers under *nix and the Windows XP install there is _forced_ to obey my taste in this matter. My laptop OTOH uses click to raise because of the touch-pad.

When using vim over ssh, I sometimes forget it's not hooked up to my systems clipboard when I do y/p operations.

I often get error messages when using the 'cls' and 'clear' commands depending on the system and rc file I'm using because 'cls' is my most used command on Windows NT and aliased to 'clear' in my ~/.zshrc. I don't use C-l because it doesn't work when I ssh into my OpenBSD machine via ssh or PuTTY.

Sometimes my thumb flips over the touch pad of my laptop and I end up with the second half of the last sentence in the middle of the last paragraph in vim.

I often forget an ending ' when using sed on the command line

it's a fairly normal thing for me to do a <esc> :w C-z <build or execute progra> fg g<line#> A <add missing the ;> and then re-build/launch the program.

And yes.... I spend a lot of time editing textual data and almost always have a terminal emulator open ;-)

And sadly I'm in a situation where I need to be some what 'bi-lingual' between Unix and NT.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 28th May 2008 at 05:22 PM.