View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
I am running an OBSD mail server box, and running my own SMTP server along with it, but my ISP reserves port 25 for their own use (meaning they can't open port 25 for me even if they want to because they want it all for themselves ). I also cannot use my ISP's incoming and outgoing SMTP servers for some reason because they told me that I can only use those servers for internal e-mails, i.e. I can only send/receive from @myisp.com addresses (e-mails only from my ISP's domain).
Sounds to me that you need different ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
which is how I configured my website because my ISP also blocks port 80 so I put Apache on port 8080 and everyone can see my website)?
Sounds to me you really need different ISP.

By the way it is not very difficult to configure sendmail to use port which is
different than 25 it that is the mail server that you are using. I personally do not run my own mail server but I would be surprised it Postfix, Exim or Qmail do not have the option of using different port than 25.

I have one question for you. If your ISP is blocking all those different ports is he giving you reverse DNS? Of not even with
with static address your mail server is useless as any normal mail server will bounce mail from the server without reverses DNS.