View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008
Spam Deminer

I've used over twenty linux distributions and haven't found any of them to be as flexible as FreeBSD. Ubuntu may do well in the ease-of-use department, but it masks much of the underlying functionality. To a lot of their users, that's acceptable because they are looking for a replacement to Windows without a huge learning curve. However, I don't agree that "its popularity [necessarily] means that one will almost always be able to find someone to help solve a problem." I previously defined Ubuntu's target users; with that definition in mind, you can bet that if a difficult problem arises, then a lot of the users won't know how to solve it because they never truly learned about Linux or Unix. There's nothing wrong with that until you hit that sort of a problem, and at that point, only knowledgeable users can help you. By the way, check out Ubuntu forums. The Ubuntu community is one of the worst I've seen with tons of members that truly don't know what they are talking about. I had an argument with one user about how a server should not run X unless absolutely necessary. He and his cronies were trying to make the case that X on a server is perfectly acceptable and normal.

Last edited by ninjatux; 5th August 2008 at 05:59 AM.