Thread: Apache Proxy
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2010
Arp Constable

It still would depend on the particulars lol.

I would suggest analysing your loads (hit rate, bandwidth, resource utilization, etc), then your content (static files, scripts, etc), and your hardware resources (kit to work with), and look for the bottlenecks. You should also take into consideration the script languages used (e.g. PHP, Perl, Python, Scheme, Ruby, ...) and the methods used (e.g. mod_php, cgi, fastcgi, ...) as that would also impact things. Some web software is more sensitive to such differences then others, but for example many PHP scripts will handle both FastCGI and mod_php fine; allowing one to choose what best fits the usage case (I generally air on FastCGI).

With that sort of information, you can look at the points where it gets thick, and think a moment how to improve on things. That makes looking for software a bit easier as well. If all you're serving is your grocery list, then it won't matter: but if you've got more abuse coming in then GitHub, tuning is worth while. Every site is a bit different.

Based on the vibe I've got from this thread, I would probably be setting up a test environment around nginx, fastcgi, and squid with differing levels of tuning split between the boxes. Varnish is interesting enough a bit of software, to take the time to examine how it can best fit into service stack.

There's an old saying, that goes something like be careful of asking advice of the elves, for surely they will say both yes and no.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.