Thread: Netflix
View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2015
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Yes, I wanted to find someone to write about it so got on their support chat and asked for an address--they said, give the feedback to us and we'll pass it along.
I said that I realized that content providers don't understand this Internet thing, but Netflix does. So, why don't they at least take the protection off their original content. I basically put what I would have put in an email or letter, pointing out that if, for example, there were 10,000 OpenBSD users--(going from something Theo said years ago) and they had some features that OpenBSD could easily watch, if even half of the OpenBSD users tried Netflix, that's 5,000 new subscribers.

I am sure it was completely ignored, but the thought was there. Nicer than what I wrote to Hulu when they did something or other so that it was no longer watchable in Linux with chrome, where I wrote something like walk around and find someone there who understands the Internet. Ask them if they believe this encryption has stopped 5 people from illegally watching content on your site.

It's one of those aggravating things and I apologize to all for venting here.

TL;DR
You can watch Netflix on most versions of Linux with google-chrome (not chromium) installed. Unfortunately, neither Free nor OpenBSD can run google-chrome, as far as I know.

Sooner or later, one hopes that content providers will realize that these protections just cause the kids who don't care about paying, or think it's cool, to pirate, while driving away those who wish to pay.

Sorry, I do have to add one line that cracked me up--one kid said that they pirate because they feel if they pay for content, the money eventually goes to bribe politicians so they were helping fight corruption. That I believe. Whenever I see a politician call for greater penalties for downloading, you know they've been bought.
I watch Netflix on Chromium with Slackware64-current. Our developer Eric provides the widevine plug-in for his Chromium package which does the trick.