View Single Post
Old 12th January 2010
More noise than signal

No, actually, I meant CVS.

From his posts, it appears to me that dennky seems completely confused about what source maintenance of OpenBSD is. Until that basic understanding is clear, I think dennky may have trouble, no matter what tool he uses to update source code. From what I can see in dennky's posts, he seems to be asking how to make CVSup build a system for him, when all it can do is either manage a local CVS repository or a local working set of source code.

I may misunderstand dennky's posts, but that's what they look like to me.
----

CVSync is only useful for making a local copy of CVS repositories, from which, later, an appropriate working set (/usr/src, /usr/ports, ...) of source code can be extracted.
Local repositories are most commonly used by developers or by -current users who use multiple working sets. These will either be extracted by a particular date/time, or will be a tagged extraction, or will be -current. The advantage is not having to reach out to a remote repository for multiple working sets.
The typical -stable or -current user will only need a single working set from a remote repository, of either the -stable tag (OPENBSD_X_Y) or the -current development (no tag or HEAD).

Now, CVSup can be used to either create/refresh a local repository (first example in the web page referenced several times above), or, to create/refresh a working set from a remote repository (second configuration example).

OpenBSD/i386 users often choose CVSup because it is available for that architecture, and is faster and consumes less resource than CVS. Users of other archs just use CVS, with or without CVSync for a local repository.