View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th January 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Unfortunately, many ports I try to build complain that they're only for i386. (I tried editing that in Makefile, by the way, didn't get me far.) I checked the OpenBSD FAQ. No i386 binary support. Fair enough. But I can run i386 on amd64. Cool.
That is not true. There are only handful of ports which can be built on i386 but not on AMD64 or Sparc64. They are mostly related to Linux compatibility layer. It is different story if you want to run SGI Mips or VAX but that is due to the broken GNU tool chain. OpenBSD SGI Mips still can run far more free software than Irix. For the record most porters that I know like to use Sparc64 for porting software for many good reasons.

You were trying to install probably win32codecs, Flash, or Opera.
Why do you exactly need to use ports? In OpenBSD world the use of ports is strongly discouraged in favor of binary packages unless packages do not exist due to license issues. Why do you need binary emulator for i386 on AMD64? If you are running mostly i386 software it makes sense to me to run i386 OS unless you have huge amount of RAM but as I said earlier the most things which will not work on AMD64 are either desktop specific or linux compatibility layer related.

For the record, I personally at this very moment run i386, AMD64, and Sparc64.

To answer your second question, I personally have never seen problems you are describing with PS2, USB, or even Mini DIN 8 keyboards (SUN). I have seen installation freezing due to the support for legacy USB devices
which can be easily disabled in BIOS (on i386 and AMD64 obviously since SUN uses Prom)

Last edited by Oko; 25th January 2009 at 08:16 PM.