View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I said, many ports which I tried to build. :P I understand that I can build most things, but when I can't get Opera and clisp, Opera especially, I will begin to consider changing OS platform entirely.

I'll try disabling ACPI.
You need Linux compatibility layer for Opera which only exists for i386.
Additionally Linux compatibility layer doesn't work properly on BSD.MP kernel so if you have core 2 duo processor you will not be able to use both processors and linux comp. That is well documented on mailing lists and there is no fix for now.

Additionally JRE which has plugins for browser is contained in JDK 1.5 which must be compiled from ports due to license issues. Java plugin is non functional in Opera as it is native for BSD and plugin wrappers which will enable you to use those plugins in Opera are only ported to current. Flush Plug in for Opera is Linux Flash 7.0 which works on about 20% of web-sites which do not require version 9.0 or higher.
Sound is non functional as Flush requires ALSA and there is no ALSA emulator in OSS nor anybody is interesting in writing one.

Long story short. OpenBSD is fantastic desktop for serious users but for an average Joe it probably sucks. Safe yourself of frustration and anger towards our community and switch to something else immediately.
YMMV with other BSDs. Probably NetBSD or FreeBSD are "better" choice.
Linux Opera, Flash 10 and Java should run on NetBSD 5.0. On FreeBSD 7.1 you probably can use Opera, Flush 9, and Java plugins but I have not tried to run them .

To be realistic Linux is probably far better choice for Desktop.
My suggestion would be Ubuntu if you are not competent Linux user. If
you are semi competent I personally and lots of other BSD guys like
CentOS (RedHat stable). For the record I do not run Linux period nor other flavors of BSDs. I personally just use OpenBSD.

Last edited by Oko; 26th January 2009 at 06:37 AM.