View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
I decided to try out the 4.5 -current and reinstalled from scratch.
You have not given a reason why you want to run -current. Be aware that -current is pre-release software & is not vetted in the same manner as -release.

Likewise, at this point there is no 4.5-current because the OPENBSD_4_6_BASE CVS tag was created nearly a month ago. The head of the CVS tree is now 4.6-current.
Quote:
I was able to checkout/update (since I just reinstalled release) src and ports; but since Xenocara wasn't built, I had errors from cvs.
If you are at -release, & your goal is to end up with -current:
  • Follow the table given in Section 5.3.2 of the FAQ.
  • Either upgrade to a -current snapshot, or download the head of CVS as described, and follow the Following -current document:

http://openbsd.org/faq/current.html
If you had just recently had reinstalled 4.5-release. It would have been simpler to just install a 4.6-current snapshot.
Quote:
I presumed that it may be prudent to try to "build" Xenocara before I tried to rebuild the Kernel and Userland per 5.3.1:
As if other errors had not already been made, this was a major mistake. Always build the kernel first.
Quote:
I'm on an AMD Processor Box...Is that causing the build to fail?
No.
Quote:
Would the Upgrade Option from the install CD allow me to follow -current (kernel, src, ports) AND create the Xenocara "Port Directory"?
Basically, yes as this is described in the 5.3.2 table already mentioned. Again as a teminology nit, you are describing the Xenocara CVS branch, not "Port Directory". Given that the prominence of the third-party ports tree, you only confuse people using this description.
Quote:
Should I have (re)built the system in the sequence listed in 5.3.2; and was my Xenocara build-error based on not having my kernel rebuilt after fetching the -current src/port directories?
Yes.
Quote:
May I have the "step by step" terminal instructions on the binary snapshot upgrade procedures that doesn't involve the install CD; and would that create the Xenocara Ports Directory?
My suggestion to you is:
  • simply install the most current snapshot.
  • download the source CVS branch & Xenocara branch as described in Sections 5.3.3 & 5.5. You trouble before was in not specifying the appropriate CVS tag. When playing in the -current world, don't specify any CVS tag.
Again, running -current is running on the cutting edge. We do not recommend casual usage unless there is a specific need which is being addressed.