View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2011
New User

Sorry, late reply. I didn't see I'd gotten more responses!

I did try the service, seemed to go okay. But at that point in time, there probably wasn't much difference from what I already had installed. And not much to "sysmerge", if anything. I saw the new fix on the errata page, the other day. On the same day (11/30) there were updated snapshots on his site. So he definitely keeps up with them.

About the patching, I've have used diff / patch files here and there, though I'm not terribly experienced. When I saw that the "patches" for OpenBSD were literally that, patches, it threw me off. And so I was trying to tip-toe around it.

It was interesting because...reading the FAQ, I got the impression that "OpenBSD people" discourage compiling stuff wherever possible. Use of packages seem to be encouraged, sticking to the GENERIC kernel, etc.

The FreeBSD people are always like, "Oh yeah, just compile it from ports!" or "Oh, you need this? No problem, just compile it into your kernel! ". But on the flip side, if you were using RELEASE you did have the option to use "freebsd-update" for system updates.

From my initial impression of OpenBSD, I was thinking there had to be an equivalent. But there wasn't! And, it sounded like there might even be more compiling actually needed (at least base system) than FreeBSD!

Anyway, @jggimi your suggestion is noted. Perhaps I will read that part of the FAQ again closer if you think this method will make me a better OpenBSD user?