View Single Post
Old 15th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Even with a Pentium D 930 and 2GB of DDR, the machine didn't blink.
Pentium D uses NetBurst architecture which is one big fail unfortunelly (way too long execution pipeline), so even two cores of fail is still fail

IMHO there is nothing wrong with quad core CPU for power workstation, apps got hungry these days, but anything more then that is just too expensive if you really do not need the horsepower, like Xeons for example.

I also like AMD's approach here with tri core Phenom X3 which is very cheap at the same time.

Quote:
I once tried testing Netbeans 6.1 on my FreeBSD laptop, on top of my normal work load...
Java ... one word, so many screams

BTW, how much RAM/CPU that laptop had?

Quote:
I don't expect a 64-bit OS, 8 cores, and a crap load of RAM to help with the way I use computers, as much as a quad of monitors and a second brain would... If I could, I'd have a circle like desk with monitors arranged almost in a panorama, with a keyboard, cup holder, and a mouse bolted onto my swivel chairs arms (and slinding out to let me out of the chair). But I hate wireless peripherals and can't afford it! But I like a computer that is responsive, even when pushed hard.
You can use your CDRW as a cup holder.

IMHO 3 monitors setup is more then enought, 4 would be a crowd.

Quote:
But hey, if you've got to dream, may as well dream about a very sexy lady ;-)
I know what you mean mate, "If you are going to steal, steal millions... If you are going to fsck, fsck a princess."

Quote:
And I don't believe in overclocking hardware, just making it work hard around the clock.
Me neither, but I will not pay more for things that I can have for free then ...

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd