Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revzalot View Post
For the unix minded, this a great era of Unix we are in now. We have so much flavors to play with and Apple of all companies has done an awesome job disguising unix in their OS. I'm glad they're going the Unix way because it just goes to show that Unix can also be used for non technical people. I remembered I started with DOS and I thought it was cool but when I discovered unix, it was like wow! I was in awe of the power, control, and complexity and I'm still learning new things everyday. I really don't care on the popularity as long as unix is here to stay and continue evolve.
I agree with you about Apple. I have some respect for Apple and some feelings of dislike for the too. Plus, they have cleverly disguised it. Some of the Unix elements to show. For example, the memory management system obviously has to be visible to the user. The lack of a registry among other things also make the experience great. There's just enough of Unix on the surface to give Mac OS X a good deal of credibility as a better alternative to Windows. Apple's use of Unix shows how flexible it is and how much longevity it has. I'm happy that Mac OS X is Unix, but many of the users don't do it justice. I know that bit, and it doesn't make me happy...oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
This is a BSD/Unix forum ... and even here 50% of the visitors use Windows ...
Well, that's sort of expected though. I'd imagine some of those users are just curious. Some of them might just be starting their Unix journey. I surfed forums much the same way when I started hunting back in late 2003.

QNX is a Unix. I'm not familiar with the others.