Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
>QNX is a Unix.

It's UNIX-like and today as much UNIX as Solaris is BSD (it was a fork in the early 80s - SunOS).

>Well, that's sort of expected though.

I don't think many users with Windows are looking for a UNIX like BSD or Solaris or they even know the term. But some users of this forum probably have to use Windows at work or they are using it at the laptop. I have to use Mac OS X, well so we will see sometimes Safari in the stats. I have been a member of DesktopBSD team for several years and I can tell you something: people are looking for the term Linux or desktop-os most of the time. Nobody asks about BSD, most of them even think about DesktopBSD/PC-BSD as some kind of a Linux-distro.
That's interesting to know.

Yes, I do know about that. I hold out hope, but I like it this way. The BSD community is in a way, quite conservative and fairly small, and BSD users are quite a bit more experienced in Unix than Linux users generally are.