Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
I would imagine that the vast majority of computer users think that there are three types of computers - those that run Windows, those that run Mac, those that run Linux. They are oblivious to other operating systems and probably even more oblivious to other hardware platforms than the i386 (though many Mac users will probably still be familiar with the ppc).
Outside of *nix or programming related circles, I've generally found most of the world to live in a "whats an operating system?" world -- or one in which computers means

Dell, Gateway, HP, etc running Windows XYZ and Mac suxors.

Actually find smart people and you will probably find people that understand what a punch card is, whether or not they used one.

(maybe my experience is this way because I mostly deal with non tech savory bunches rather then people who could out think me any second of the minute)

At the end of the day, most users just want it to freaking work without having to kick the sucker and could care less.

I do agree with the rest of your post though JMJ_coder.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.