View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2010
Package Pilot

Default XFCE on a production Web-Server?

Hello again!

I got another problem .. I'm HOOK. I learned so many BSD commands that I like command-line mode and fear that I might mess things up by installing X-Windows because this is my "MAIN" "practice install" that will go into production someday with the claim of being a very secure system running some great web services, namely Apache, MySql and other needed light-weight web applications. It may be only one of the millions of lonely servers out there but it would make me feel sooooooo good inside that my claim is true. I realize that it's not hard to make FreeBSD un-secure by running or even having the wrong applications on it. My question is, is it common place to install XFCE on a production web-server but never use it while in production because all services will be jailed tight anyway? Are there others? Are there any security issues by installing these applications? Will it slow the machine down while in production even if XFCE is turn-off? I think by including a small Windows-Manager I can get to things quicker and test things at any time than shut it off, put it back in production like nothing never happen. Is this the way it is done? Or does it still have an effect on speed and security even while off?

Also, what are the most recommended programs to be installed based on running as a production web-server? I don't mean to burn up the FORUM by posting every other day but things are about to get hot and I don't want to screw up my most important image of FreeBSD-64. I hope some people will address a few of these question if not all.

Thanks again in advance

This is what got me going.

http://freebsd-custom.wikidot.com/start