View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th June 2014
Stubborn throwback

Default Compaq nc6000 w/Mobility Radeon 9600 - no acceleration

I've been playing around with OpenBSD on a spare laptop in an attempt to find a free Unix that makes me want to slit my wrists less than Linux, and so far things have been going pretty well. However, graphical performance isn't what it could be, because evidently there's no acceleration. The laptop is a Compaq nc6000 with a 64MB Mobility Radeon 9600, which is an R350 and does appear to be in the radeon driver's supported list, but it looks like the radeon DRI driver isn't getting launched in the first place. glxinfo spits out this:
Code:
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r300_dri.so
libGL error: failed to open drm device: Permission denied
libGL error: failed to load driver: r300
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
...and then goes on to give information for Mesa's GL capabilities. I'm curious, it looks like this is some kind of permissions issue? A quick Google search turned up suggestions that it stems from my launching X from a user account that doesn't have permissions for the DRM device and that the solution is to add the user account to the video group, but /etc/group.conf doesn't even have a video group listed. Can someone help me resolve this?