View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
You should be ok with Linux with wireless, but I cant tell you for FreeBSD and Solaris.

Depends what you need it for.

You can even do other thing.

If you will get Intel Q35, then you will have Intel 3100 GMA inboard (in Q35) which is great for all UNIX systems and Linux, and tak your wanted 4850 card to play gamez at Linux or Windows.

If it goes for nVidia, I would go for something like: 8800GS < 9600GSO < 9600GT < 8800GT < 9800GT (check benchmarks @ anandtech.com)
Well maybe I'll look into a keyboard and mouse that work wirelessly but can also be plugged in (do they even make those? I know they have controllers for game systems like that...)

As for inboard Intel graphics controllers, I've found the performance of my inboard Intel controller (865 or whatever is what Ubuntu tells me) to be less than satisfactory on Linux (it's not great on Windows but much better than on Linux). I assume they'll use similar drivers for all the Unix variants, so I hope drivers for those inboard graphics are better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
The truth of the matter is that you do not need anything of above but
you started with quads and 2 duos so I poured little bit oil to the flame. If you want really elegant solution go with MicroITX and fanless VIA chip-sets. That is what I really like these days beside SUN's sparc hardware. If I was building Wintel box I would go with quads and 8 GB of memory.

By the way I had couple boxes that where running even X on 128 MB of RAM and some old PIIs and they worked well. It is definitely one option to
get old Wintel hardware for free. The problem is if you want to use your rig for storage you have to use new hard disks and how are you going to hock them up to such rig?
Yeah, although this system has been fine for me for the past few years (although compiling any decent-sized project with GCC takes forever and makes the system pretty much useless until it completes), buying new hardware for it leaves me pretty limited so I'm just gonna get a whole new system.

I might try SPARC some day if it's affordable, but for now I'll just go the more common AMD64 route (I'm also gonna be getting a mac - but certainly a SPARC system could be useful for porting to SPARC).

Also is there any simple way to use an AMD64 to build and test i386 binaries? Or would I need to set up a cross-compiler and run in an emulator?