View Single Post
Old 13th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Let me put it this way, I was able to play Flatout 2 [not Fallout ] 1024x768 without any problems on GMA X3000 (965G).
I'm afraid I've never heard of the game so I don't see the signifigance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden
Everything is detailed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
Yeah, that's where I was reading. This is all it has for GMA 3100:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
GMA 3100

The G31, G33, Q33 and Q35 chipsets use the GMA 3100, which is DX9 capable. The 3D core is very similar to the older GMA 3000, including the lack of hardware accelerated vertex shaders. However, the RAMDAC is reduced to 350MHz, and the DVO ports were reduced to 225Mpixel/s.
Quote:
Its pretty old info (from 7.0-RELEASE?) that was about a year ago.
7.1 is only beta, so 7.0 is the newest "stable" release of FreeBSD (which is what I plan to use).
So the information is still relevant to me.

Quote:
I have MiniATX POSITIVO/MSI Q35 motherboard, best would be Tyan/Supermicro, but they are too $$$. Generally any Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Foxconn will do. Just remember to check NIC, to get Intel e1000 instead of some Realtek. I have PSITIVO/MSI and it has Intel e1000 NIC, from what I recall also Asus has it, and of course Intel version of Q35 motherboard, but with Intel, forgot about any O/C
The NIC on the board I was looking at was Intel gigabit LAN.

Tyan boards look awesome and aren't far outside my "expected" price range, but I didn't see any MATX ones so I'm not interested.
As for super micro, I see a few suitable boards but they aren't looking as good to me as the Gigabyte board I'm already looking at. The only one I'd actually consider is the "MBD-X7DCA-L-O", but it only supports a small set of Xeon processors, just barely misses the maximum size for a MATX board (meaning there may be issues fitting it in a MATX case), and has XGI graphics (which wikipedia says are less-than-competitive with ATI or nVidia and might not even be supported on Linux or *BSD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko
You are obviously very young guy SGI (Silicon Graphics) high end
graphics Unix stations and servers were using MIPS until last year. We older people see MIPS as the best processor architecture for computers but reality is that you are right and that MIPS and ARM are today mostly used in embedded devices (which is well over 80% of processor market).
PPC is IBM although MAC also used to be MAC PPC. PPC processor used in MACs are manufactured by IBM but they are different processor architecture then IBM PPC used in servers.

Cheers,
OKO
Yeah, I'm pretty young (19) and have only been using the internet for a few years now and have never had experience with any "high performance" hardware. I'm a bit of a computer hobbyist although I've never really sunk much money into computers. Thanks for the info, though I'm not sure how useful it is.

Last edited by nfries88; 13th November 2008 at 06:02 PM.