View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
DragonFly was forked from FreeBSD 4.x branch. This is before the Nvidia driver for FreeBSD, so you answer is probably it's not going to work at all.

I never been able to get DragonFly to successfully install on any machine I have so I can't tell you 1st hand how Nvidia cards work in general on DragonFly.

I have used Nivida cards in OpenBSD with the nv driver and as long as you are not running dual screen or wide screen resolutions "it works".

I mainly run FreeBSD with the Nvidia driver on my workstations.
I really appreciate the feedback, I should probably clarify a couple of things I forgot to mention:

1. I have already installed OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD sucesssfully on my hardware. Everything is detected, and works, with the exception of that card. The problem is that I can only get a very low quality VGA resolution in 4:3 via the VGA out, my mini-HDMI to HDMI doesn't work at all. I have a a 27" Widescreen monitor that does 1080p, so it's a waste of that card to just use VGA output for me. When I installed FreeBSD with the proprietary driver, I was able to use my mini-HDMI to HDMI and get very good quality with HD videos. I'm not worried about Flash or linuxulator, though, I just want to watch my media files in a decent widescreen resolution.

2. What I'm really trying to do here is settle on a permanent desktop OS. I really like the BSD design philosophy/license, but I'm not wild about ZFS. To be honest my ideal OS would be OpenBSD with HAMMER, I really want to be able to do full disk ecnryption on a next gen file system but I like the philosophy behind that project a lot, I'd just rather not keep using UFS. I liked DragonFly very much as well from what little I toyed with it, though, I don't mean to say the only thing I appreciated was HAMMER.