View Single Post
Old 24th August 2010
Package Pilot

I decided to go ahead and install XFCE4 to use Mousepad so i can write scripts and programs quicker. I ran into something kind of strange. Since reading nearly everywhere I go, they say "you can remove the entire local folder if nothing is in it but X11 and XFCE4 and you would actually be removed everything system related for it except what you wrote in rc.conf". I just found out it's only a roomer.

This is what I did:

I copied the /usr/local to a flash drive yesterday. This morning I made 5 shortcuts on the desktop,(Application Finder, Mousepad, Thunbar etc). Just a few hours ago I deleted the entire /usr/local than rebooted "for clean memory" since I knew I had a back-up. After rebooting, I typed "pkg_add" on the command-line and it showed all the files that I installed in the /usr/local and the files are not even on the machine. So, I pop in my flash drive and I put the /usr/local directory back on the machine. I typed startxfce4 on the command-line. Would you believe all 5 shortcut were in place with the same font setting that I had changed far difference that what I saved yesterday.

This proves that all files was not installed in /usr/local and I used "pkg_add -L a", which gives you the FullPathName of all files, so all needed information was not given by the system it seems. Glad I did this. I like knowing where everything is. Do anyone know where is FreeBSD keeping these setting? The FreeBSD documentation says nothing about this, including X11 and XFCE4.

I think I'm going to try Emacs. I always wanted to try it but didn't know how to install anything that seem too technical. Now that I installed XFCE ... the third INSTALL gave me the minimize button in the title-bar ALL because of the order of INSTALL, now I'm ready to try them ALL

http://freebsd-custom.wikidot.com/start

The trick was to install one set at a time .. X11 than XFCE instead of checking everything at one time during pkg_add. I got the clue from here but I lost the original page that said "Order is Important".

http://www.xfce.org/documentation/4.2/manuals/xfdesktop