View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2011
New User

From those posts I see 3 questions: After BETA, will the data users have backed up be wiped? What is the pricing after BETA? Also, is there a benefit for participation in the BETA? Answers below.

After BETA, will the data users have backed up be wiped?
At this point, we see no reason to wipe any data that was uploaded during BETA. If it is determined certain code changes are necessary, you may have to re-run the backup process to re-create your metadata only. In that case, all the chunks will already be stored on our servers, so re-running the backup will result in very low wire traffic and should complete quickly. However, major code changes may not be necessary and your data will be available with no hassle once the BETA ends if you choose to transition to official release.

What is the pricing after BETA?
Here are the pricing details as they stand now. We are 90% sure this will be the model once we move out of BETA, but I cannot guarantee anything at this point.
You will not pay per client machine, you will pay according to the amount of data stored on our servers. This works well with our de-duplication process that saves you storage space.
We intend to charge USD 2.00 per 20 GB of space used per month. We allocate in 20 GB segments since it provides the simplest way to bill users. If you need another segment any time during the month, the cost will be pro-rated for that segment. The allocation will be automatic when you fill up your existing segments.
We intend to release a Windows and Mac version of the software later this year, and we will charge for the client software on those platforms. Specific cost TBD.

Is there a benefit for participation in the BETA?
That is a great question and we are talking about that often. My take is, you participate and help us tweak the software for a seamless experience once we finalize and release. You also have the opportunity to suggest features that will personally benefit you after learning and using the software. Of course these features will probably benefit most users so you help give to the community in that way. As for a monetary benefit, that is still being discussed.