View Single Post
Old 15th April 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
PCC is not an alternative to GCC. PCC is a Unix system compiler only
I think you're absolutely right that in terms of the goals of PCC's team and the interest OpenBSD's devs have in PCC (can't comment on {Net,Free}BSD interest), PCC is a Unix system compiler.

There was a significant push to remove C++ from base (which resulted in mandoc and a few other new tools) in preparation for the jump to PCC. I wonder if that's truly stalled, or if what we're seeing is just the normal delay in a big task (as this is)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
As I understand it, all of them take a bunch of C/C++/... code, and process in such a manner so that the operating system can execute it.

There may be differences in architecture and history, but I don't see any essential difference in function ... Other then that llvm and ppc aren't as far along as gcc on some points (Like the C++ frontend) ...

Did I misunderstand something?
I think the point that Oko is making is that the focus of PCC is different...not necessarily the "potential" or "technology". The focus of the people developing PCC is to make it a simple, solid system compiler that's easier to maintain than a general purpose, bells-n-whistles compiler like gcc.