View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th January 2013
More noise than signal

An IDS alerts you to intrusions as they occur, or, after they occur. It will also show you failed attempted incursions. I stopped using snort, because I was running OpenBSD and snort only showed failed attempts, never a success.

I may install an IDS and do some penetration tests for a web based application of mine that is designed, but is not yet in production. That design is for a High Availability (HA) geographically dispersed suite of servers. Some of the security decisions already in place are:
  • All server to server communications for this application are encapsulated inside IPSec VPN tunnels.
  • OpenBSD's PF blocks server-server application connections except those via IPSec. (e.g.: SQL connections to the database servers are only open to IPSec authenticated/encrypted connections)
  • The application servers execute code from a filesystem mounted read/only.
  • End user connections (on the webservers) are forced to use HTTPS through URL rewrite of HTTP.
  • Administrative access to all servers - for consoles, X (if needed), and file transfers - is conducted via SSH. SSH public key authentication is the only authentication form used; password authentication is explicitly disabled.
FTP is not used, either by admins or by users. Admins expect to use SSH file transfer applications -- sftp or scp -- for administrative file transfers. Server-to-server bulk data transfers (such as database synchronization between servers) are encapsulated within IPSec VPN.

Last edited by jggimi; 15th January 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typos, clarity