View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th July 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
I am sorry, I do not see what was wrong with the tone of my post?
Telling someone to "Read the fucking manual" might be one thing that's is "wrong" with your post.
The unfriendly, disrespectful, and hostile tone might be a few other things ...

Yes, the answer may be in the manual but there are lots of pages in the manual, and it's very normal/human not to read all of them letter by letter and make mistakes, especially if you're under some pressure to get things working and/or you're used to a system which is both similar and very different (FreeBSD ports).

There is nothing wrong with pointing out to someone that he/she should put a bit more effort in finding a solution for himself, rather than asking for a read-made solution at forums, but this can be said respectfully too ...

Aside from this, it would seem that Pollywog actually did read te manual, but is confused by it and/or misunderstood something ... Which is not so strange since it would seem that he expects OpenBSD ports to behave the same as FreeBSD ports ... Which they don't ... I made the same mistake, and I'm pretty sure lots of other people have too...