View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th April 2018
New User

Default Booting both UEFI and BIOS systems

Hi all, I've got a peculiar setup I'm trying to get right. Due to lack of my own computer I'm necessitated to hop between three different machines. The one is an ia32 BIOS machine, the next an amd64 BIOS machine and the last an amb64 UEFI Apple. As another important point, my internet is severely limited, I've been putting off downloading the install disk since it'll do very bad things to the rest of the month's internet availability. Hence, I would prefer downloading the right things the first time around, and also preferably as little as possible.

Jumping between these machines is driving me crazy. So, I'm hoping to create a live disk that'll boot on all three so that I can have a consistent development system. I, however, have no experience with NetBSD at all (this will be my first NetBSD install), so I'm appealing to people more well versed than myself for help.

So far I found that NetBSD 8 has a UEFI capable, oddly though I've heard that the amd64 (not sure which version) refuses to install itself to a USB drive. I'm not sure whether I'll need a 64bit kernel, 32bit or both, though I'll definitely need the 32bit one. I can use syslinux to boot, however I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

As far as I can tell the NetBSD boot... system? is fairly similar to syslinux in how it boots GPT on BIOS, I suspect (hope) that this indicates that booting both BIOS and UEFI from the same USB will be possible.

I managed to get my hands on the man pages for NetBSD 8, so if I need to read up on anything that's not a problem. Also, I have no issues ending with a fairly minimal system, in particular, a lack of X11 doesn't bother me especially since it's fairly easy to fix after the fact. I'm also not afraid of manually poking around the disks should that be necessary.

So, where do I start in order to figure this out?