View Single Post
Old 30th May 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
I just started hanging out on the Ubuntu server forums and have noticed a trend I am really dissapointed in. I spent several hours last night trying to convince people on the SERVER forum why they shoud not load a GUI on their server. It was an excercise in futility to say the least. You would think since it was the SERVER forum, at least the experienced users would agree with me but that wasn't the case with most of them. I know this is a symptom of Micro$oft taking over more and more of the server market.

It's refreshing to come here and still see people that know what they are doing and that want to do things the correct way. once they port VMware to BSD, I'm outta the linux space for good. Sadly, I am seeing the dumbing down of Linux as it becomes more popular on the desktop. What do you guys think?

-Tim
I've also noticed this behaviour on the Ubuntu forums. I think this due to the fact that there are many Ubuntu users who have migrated from Windows so they are used to working in a GUI. I've noticed that many think that the command line is very hard to use and archaic, but obviously there are many things that can be done in the CLI that are very difficult if not impossible to do via GUI interfaces.