View Single Post
Old 21st July 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
My mistake, I misinterpreted that email when I first read it.

Nonetheless, OpenBSD does still have unique security features that others don’t. For instance, it has several extra malloc() options and other memory protections that are extremely helpful at flushing out bugs. I once tried to run some NetBSD code (encryption code, no less!) on OpenBSD, but it crashed instantly. There were several double free()s and reads past the end of buffers, yet the program ran without complaint on NetBSD. I sent the fixes upstream, of course ☺
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
To add to it (I haven't used OpenBSD very much), they encourage the use of binary packages, but they don't update them until the next release (or running -current, which you wouldn't do on a server). The index doesn't show anything changed past February 13th.
Unfortunately, this is a manpower issue; everybody agrees -stable port upgrades would be nice, but most developers use -current and are unwilling to downgrade to maintain packages there…