View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2011
Arp Constable

Actually, I agree with him.

As to Lindows, Linux is just the bigger fish, that's the way of all things in the world. You'll find that the standardization of unix interfaces were influenced more by the bigger fish of the day, then actual unix philosophy in any shape or form. Linux is the new POSIX, only the standard never gets fully written down and changes as rapidly as the code bases involved. The real problem is so many projects are either unmaintained or as good as it.

Why I agree with him, it's less headache if you are not trying to be portable. Plus you are more portable if more systems are alike, and many people are (increasingly) too incompetent to coup with otherwise. I've spent enough effort on being portable to know better than trust The Average Person to get it right, because the average person even gets simple wrong.

Personally, I think there should be ONE and exactly ONE operating system, that it should be unix like, and that it should be hacakable to whatever you want. Getting that many people to agree on anything, would be like trying to build the death star for 90 cents a tonne.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.