View Single Post
Old 8th February 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
OT: Tahoe is great, but you gotta love snow. Six to ten feet on the ground in the general area is not uncommon. Makes for great skiing, but everyday things can be a challenge. That's one reason I live an hour down the hill from there -- below the snow line, but above the valley fog.

Where are you now, OKO?
We moved in August to up state South Carolina (Greenville) but we hate it. The only good thing is that kids are happy that we can now drive every 2-3 months to their grandmother who lives in Cleveland. We would move back West in a blink of an eye but it might not be possible until economy picks up a bit. Are you down in Reno on Nevada's side or you live in Sacramento?

@JMJ_coder
Running a web-server is trivial with right tools and little knowledge about security. Realistically speaking most people do not have the second one so they are better of paying host companies. From what you said your company is charging very reasonable fee. On the another hand
you should have in mind is that unless you have a physical control over
machines you really do not have real control of their content. Just see
what happened with BSD forums or Gentoo wiki. Make sure you have back ups.

I am surprised that nobody mention so far that one issues that people have when starting their own web-server is lack of the static IP address and their own domain. For most people using the services of DynDNS will
be as good as having a static address and paying for the domain name.
Normally Static address might cost $6-$60 more a month from your IP provider if they are available at all. In Arizona Qwest DSL was charging only $5.99 extra a month for fixed IP address. Over here is crazy. One has to get small business deal which is $100 a month (over $60 more than residential rate). Domain name last time I checked is about $10-$15 a year.

In summery, running own web-server is more expensive than what most people are paying to their host companies.
I like the advice you got from Al-danno very much. That is probably way to go.

Last edited by Oko; 8th February 2009 at 05:19 PM.