View Single Post
Old 1st July 2008
Port Guard

Hi again,
well, i measured the comp speed last night and it took like 900 seconds to compile openssl 0.9.8g.
It is a slow compiler but the fact that it is small and fanless its a huge advantage.
I was more afraid of the machine getting hot, but now, after a few days in my private lab, compiling software from pkgsrc mostly, the temp of the case seems to be quite OK.
I compiled a new kernel with all the sensors enabled to get some temperature statistics from the mobo, but either mbmon or envstat found them. I think that this kind of nonstandard i386 derivate probably is still not supported.
When i compiled a new kernel it took long time (~ 1 hour). I am dubious if this kind of hardware can be use as a desktop, but to have a small router/FW or maybe a web server backed up with some php and mysql it will do fine.
I read that some people at some lab got like 90Mbits from this hardware using linux and that is definitely ok.
It has no power button so when u connect to the power if get up and running. It is a fast at booting and shutting down. The overall speed is fast having in mind the hardware. I am not planing to run any x-based applications or heavy graphics so, i can answer the other questions.

Reg /T

Last edited by tonyex; 2nd July 2008 at 06:35 AM.