View Single Post
Old 7th February 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing2Do View Post
... why port exist if I can't use it ? If it's "silly" mistake, tell me why openbsd faq speak about that "silly" way !
I'll answer this, starting with FAQ 15, highlight in red mine:
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: The ports tree is meant for advanced users. Everyone is encouraged to use the pre-compiled binary packages.
Since the ports tree produces the exact same binary as what is packaged, the value of producing packages from the ports tree is limited to those instances where:
  1. A specific FLAVOR is not available as a package
  2. A package cannot be distributed due to license restrictions
  3. A -current user requires a synchronized package.
Yes, there are other values to having the tree available. But none other for package production.

Now, back to the FAQ, which points us to ports(7) for flavor discussion. That man page says:
Quote:
FLAVORS
The OpenBSD ports tree comes with a mechanism called FLAVORS. Thanks to
this mechanism, users can select specific options provided by a given
port.

If a port is "flavored", there should be a terse description of available
flavors in the pkg/DESCR file.
Flavors are pre-set configurations produced by the ports maintainer. If they exist at all for any port, they are limited to what is provisioned by the port's Makefile.

Of course, anyone can build whatever they want. In this case, you have the sources to php and apache2, so you can add or remove any options to any build as you like. But ...

Don't expect your custom software to work. And if it fails to work, don't expect other users to try to support it. The ports have particular flavors....when they have them at all...for a reason.