View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
Port Guard

So for the second problem I tried it after I fully installed OpenBSD first. I logged in as root, and did startx and in the terminal that showed up in the X environment, I typed in "ifconfig ath0 up" just to test it. Everything froze immediately. I could not type anything, I could not move the mouse, and I could not switch the console/terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2/F3,etc. I had to manually shut down by pressing the power button which I hate to do since it messes with the hard drive. I started again and this time I did not go into X, instead I stayed in the raw terminal that shows when you first boot it up and don't do anything. I logged on as root again and did "ifconfig ath0 up" as a test once more, and you know how usually when you type in a command, it kind of looks like this:
Code:
# ifconfig ath0 up
#
And it shows a new line where you can type a command into? Well, it would not show up and it would just hang at the new line without the symbol denoting that you can type in a new command. I could not Ctrl+C it (it would just show the raw command, something like ^C or something) and I could not switch raw terminals with Ctrl+Alt+F2,F3,etc. again. Whatever I typed, it would show, but if I typed a command or something and pressed Enter, nothing happens and it just stays on the same line even though I can type anything, nothing happens. I had to shut down once again with the power button
But both times I did the command, the lights in my wireless card started blinking (even though everything was frozen).

Last edited by JohnHicks; 11th February 2009 at 12:55 AM.