Thread: I'm back :-)
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

@Beastie

Quote:
It's always good to create a /home directory, make a new partition (or slice) and mount it there.
You should never separate /etc because 1) it's not worth it at all, and 2) the system won't boot anymore since the loader needs to read fstab to mount partitions (including /etc), but fstab is on /etc.
I ALWAYS use a seperate /home partition, i mentioned that i DID NOT on my firewall because there is NO USERS logging in ... and like i said a seperate /etc partition errored like mad, i know why and was hinting that he should NOT create a seperate /etc "slice".

Quote:
There's something called quotas...
He does NOT even have a properly working install, why recommend something more to configure?????

Quote:
... and is a bad idea. When you have separate partitions you can enhance security and tune and optimize many things like disk usage and mount options. Repairs are also much easier when you know the source of your problems is located in, let's say, the root partition.
Was a suggestion to get a booting system he can analyze/test .... i will gladly post a regular currently running installs systems configs, so we can quote back and forth instead of helping with Broodjegehaktmetmayo's issues.....

Quote:
Little space is required for the root partition. Mine is 256MB (248 effective) with 162 used, most of it by the boot directory.
/etc is rarely more than a few MBs.
Almost everything related to X and *DE goes in /usr/local which is a directory in the /usr partition (402GB on his system).
Yes correction, i did mean /usr "slice" it was getting late (early), and most "userland?" if i can call them that applications go under /usr, mine is 588MB used and i DO NOT have any window managers on that system, hmmm.

Last edited by There0; 21st December 2009 at 03:49 PM.