Thread: FreeBSD scanner
View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st October 2008
borgibo

Default FreeBSD scanner

hello everybody,

I am a computer newby, learning Linux and started with FreeBSD lately. The only OSs I know about.

I am struggling with FreeBSD7 both as an i386 and amd64 architecture.

The problem is my scanner a Canon Lide 60. Running #scanimage -L I get "device `genesys:libusb:/dev/usb1:/dev/ugen0' is a Canon Lide 60 flatbed scanner" which is right and it shows up with xsane as root (when I am lucky to use xsane as root in gnome)

Now trying to: "7.6.4 Giving Other Users Access to the Scanner

All previous operations have been done with root privileges. You may however, need other users to have access to the scanner. The user will need read and write permissions to the device node used by the scanner. As an example, our USB scanner uses the device node /dev/uscanner0 which is owned by the operator group. Adding the user joe to the operator group will allow him to use the scanner:

# pw groupmod operator -m joe

For more details read the pw(8) manual page. You also have to set the correct write permissions (0660 or 0664) on the /dev/uscanner0 device node, by default the operator group can only read the device node. This is done by adding the following lines to the /etc/devfs.rules file:

[system=5]
add path uscanner0 mode 660

Then add the following to /etc/rc.conf and reboot the machine:

devfs_system_ruleset="system"

More information regarding these lines can be found in the devfs(8) manual page.

Note: Of course, for security reasons, you should think twice before adding a user to any group, especially the operator group."

I cannot find "/etc/devfs.rules" file, it does not exist. I tried to make one adding what I was instructed, to no avail. I tried to put "[system=5]" etc in the "/etc/defaults/devfs.rules" file, which exists, but it did not work either.

I suppose I must be doing something wrong. Please bear in mind that this is my first time that I am using the command line. I have been able to thanks to the very easy and instructive FreeBSD's handbook.

If you know why "/etc/devfs.rules" file is missing from both i386 and amd64 installations and what I can do if anything, please inform me.

Thank you very much for your efort,

borgibo