View Single Post
Old 20th February 2011
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrow View Post
I’ve heard the problem is IE6 was a modern browser when it came out, because Netscape was pretty bad.
There was nothing wrong with Netscape. Microsoft started making proprietary elements that only worked in IE and didn't support web standards. So when Netscape didn't work the same way, everyone wondered what was wrong with Netscape. That is the basis of the US anti-trust litigation and billion dollar fine against them which, to this day, still has Microsoft under Federal oversight.
Quote:
So everybody switched to IE, and IE stayed in place as the world passed it by.
Yep.
Quote:
As for this whole “modern” thing, I can’t help but feel skeptical of a lot of HTML5.
Well, it's here to stay. My company uses it exclusively. There is no more HTML4.01.
Quote:
I just feel like I could have gotten behind XHTML2 more easily, with its focus on marking up documents instead of flashy games and fade effects.
Cause the web has moved in the direction of a big TV network instead of a source of information. HTML5 is being written by today's young script kiddies with not enough scientific background to use good science and engineering behind it but a need to cater to pretty, blinking lights and explosions.