Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old 12th February 2019
Fdisk Soldier

I joined FB 4 years ago, I guess, because I used to work as an artist.
This was part of a process where I created my website, twitter, youtube, foo, bar,... account in order to reach people.
This brought exactly 0 gig. Complete waste of effort (but the website was a learning exeprience).

With that in mind, I believe social medias are evil because:
- this by no mean a communication tool. You have to blend with the flow. On FB, if you don't post often, your next post might not reach a lot of person. tl;dr: post crap, post often
- on the cognitive aspect, not suitable for a human being. You end up in circles where most peoples/ideas align with your opinion, no reflexion on yourself. You are either shown all the world misery or fuzzy/comfy stuff: You might loose connexion with your reality, direct interaction with people, life ...
- life is ephemeral by nature. As sad as it sounds, you can't keep all friends, toys, memories, pictures forever. And this is fine. True friendships are not the ones that need monthly call, FB, whatever
- distractions. I feel sad when I see people riveted to their screens, couples at the restaurant spending most of the evening answering notifications or simply browsing FB. Also, I think boredom, loneliness is part of life (unless you are deeply suffering from it of course) and should not be "fixed" through superficial distractions

I am mostly reacting on the abusive use of social medias. My point is that they are not healthy for humans and society.
On a more nuanced note, a friend of mine once said: "It's a tool. Just use it, don't be controlled by it". Maybe he meant it both ways: don't depend on it and don't be afraid by it either. Can't remember exactly, I was browsing daemonforums on my phone...

Last edited by Funkygoby; 12th February 2019 at 08:35 PM.