View Single Post
Old 24th July 2014
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas
Default Gui Install

cravuhaw2C
I understand your point.
That said,,,,,,

IF you have a copy of Absolute OpenBSD 2nd edition, Unix for the PRACTICAL
paranoid by Michael W. Lucas this author has a few thoughts on what drives the
OpenBSD project.

In the Introduction Section i.e. page xxxiv OpenBSD Users, the author:
quote:

"Most open source operating systems put a lot of effort into growing their user base,
evangelizing and bringing new people into the Unix fold. OpenBSD does not."

"Most open source Unix-like operating system groups do a lot of pro Unix adovacy. Again
OpenBSD does not"

"The communities surrounding other operating systems actively encourage new users and
try to make newbies feel welcome. OpenBSD specifically and deliberately does not"

"The OpenBSD community is not trying to be the most popular operating system-just the
best at it what it does. The developers know exactly who their target audience is:
themselves. If you can use their work, thats great. If not, go away until you can."

"The OpenBSD community generally expects newcomers to be advanced computer users. The
members have written extensive OpenBSD documentation and expect newcomers to be
willing to read it. They're not interested in coddeling new Unix users and, if pressed, will
say so--often bluntly and forcefully. They will not hold your hand. They will not develop new
features to please users. OpenBSD exists to meet the needs of the developers, and while
others are welcome to ride along, the needs of the passengers do not steer the project"

These quotes are the authors who is well known and respected in the OpenBSD community,
and I hope the author does not mind me quoting his book in this manner in an effort to help
you.

When I made the decision to obtain and use OpenBSD, as a thinking adult I accepted and
understood the basis for the above. Therefore I am "along for the ride".

As a newbie myself I welcome you here and your comments. Perhaps the best advice I can
give you is to ask questions concerning what makes the "install process difficult for you".
They can be asked here! What is expected is that you do some research prior to asking so
that those who spend the time helping you, see you have skin in the game. Effort on your
part will make your questions more pointed and easier for the folks here to answer.

Once again welcome!

Last edited by frcc; 25th July 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: improve correctness of reply